Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Life in Pancakes: Pancakes Today

So today marks ‘Day 11’ of Pancake Week, which was supposed to last for one week, and has now lasted 11 days. I decided to have a ‘Pancake Week’ in the first place, because I’m not comfortable with the idea of ‘Pancake Day’. It’s too much like ‘Valentine’s Day’. There shouldn’t be one day a year to eat pancakes, just like there shouldn’t be one day a year when boys are nice to you.

This brings me to the final post in my pancake series.

These days, i’m happy to try new kinds of pancakes. I can no longer eat lemon and sugar pancakes without cinnamon. I prefer the thin ones. Nutella on pancakes is love. Biltong on panakes is not.

Some of the pancakes I’ve had over the past 11 days, and how I rate them.

  1. Strawberry and Nutella: Amazing. However, these particular strawberries tasted like amoxicillin.
  2. Nutella: On it’s own, Nutella is still kudutastic.
  1. Lemon and sugar: I couldn’t do it. My parents ate these ones.
  1. Maple Syrup: So beautiful. I like to balance maple syrup pancakes with cinnamon sugar ones on a 1:4 ratio. Maple syrup is a special treat, but MUST be Canadian Maple syrup
  1. Cinnamon Sugar and Lemon: The absolute best.
  1. French Toast. I still remember the day I learned that normal people made French Toast with egg. Ew. I had always made it by soaking bread in pure pancake batter. This past week, my mom admitted that this is because she didn’t know how to make French Toast when I was little. Our pancake French toast is fabulous when buttered and coated in Maple Syrup.
I’m going to see how long I can keep up my pancake streak. I’ve become rather attached to it, and I’m not quite ready to give it up…

No comments: